Let’s face it, beef stroganoff is not a traditionally healthy recipe, but we have a healthier beef stroganoff recipe that may just fit the bill in case you are not adhering to a strict diet. We will be using a low-fat sour cream in place of the normally used cream of mushroom soup, which means we can cut some of the calories off and still maintain the savory flavor we all know and love. We will be using a slow cooker so you can set it and forget, making this an easy meal that keeps for days.
Use whatever noodles you prefer; whether it is the egg noodles most of us grew up on or some spiral pasta, they all work well. Additional vegetables can also be used if you crave a few more or want to sneak a few more into your children’s meals without complaints. This meal can be frozen and keeps in the freezer for a couple of months or a few days in the fridge. Visit us at BalanceKG for all your meal and fitness needs!
Healthier Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
- Beef – 2 pounds of stew meat cubed
- Italian Seasoning – 2 tsp
- Beef Broth – 2 cups low sodium
- Mushrooms – 1 cup sliced
- Worcestershire – 3 tbsp
- Garlic – 1 tbsp minced
- Dijon Mustard – 1 tbsp
- Sour Cream – 1 cup low fat
- Cream Cheese – 6 oz low fat, cut into cubes to melt faster
- Corn Starch – 4 tbsp
- Noodles – 12 oz cooked, your choice of type
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Grease or use a disposable slow cooker liner.
- Add beef, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, mushrooms, beef broth, garlic, dijon mustard, and Worcestershire to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for approximately 8 to 9 hours
- Approximately 30 minutes before you serve, mix the corn starch or flour in 1/2 a cup of beef broth. Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the sour cream and cream cheese to the slow cooker
- Cook for another 30 minutes on high, stirring occasionally. This will thicken the contents once it has all been melted and incorporated.
- Add the noodles.
- Salt and pepper to taste